Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Fun reads for the summer

Long time, no post! I was actually out of town for a few days....in sunny California! Now, before you all get too jealous, remember that's where I grew up, so I try to visit as often as I can. This time I was out there to attend a wedding, and to see some family. It's a long journey to and from the west coast, so I took a few books along with me. Here's what I read:

People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau, YA FIC DUP
The sequel to City of Ember picks up right where the first book stopped. Lina and Doon have managed to escape their disintegrating home, and through their efforts over 400 people from Ember have also made it to the surface. Now they have to rely on the people of Sparks, a post-Disaster town, to survive. Can the people of Ember learn to survive up top before it's too late? I read this book just as quickly as I read the first one! Lina has become one of my favorite characters - she's smart and strong, with true compassion running in her veins. If you haven't read the first book yet, I highly recommend it and People of Sparks.

Meridian: Going to Ground by Barbara Kesel, YA Graphic KES
The Meridian series is a great graphic novel story line. After her father's death, 16 year-old Sephie is the new Minister of Meridian, a floating city of the land of Demetria. However, her Uncle Ilhan has plans to take over all of Demetria and wants Sephie out of the way. With only a new, unexplained, power to assist her Sephie must mount forces against Ilhan and save Meridian from destruction. I had fully intended to only read the first issue, Flying Solo, but I was hooked after the first few chapters. The story is exciting and the artwork amazing....I can't wait to reading the third book, Taking the Skies!

Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee, J FIC YEE
Millicent Min is an eleven-year-old senior in high school. She's always been way ahead of other kids her age intellectually, but she doesn't have much of a social life. The summer before her senior year her mother decides that it's time for Millicent to meet some people. She is enrolled in volleyball camp and has to tutor her archnemesis, Stanford. Needless to say, the results are quite humorous. If you want a fun break from school summer reading pick up this book - or listen to it on tape!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Flint Memorial Library
147 Park Street
North Reading, MA 01864
978.664.4942