Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Candyfreak

I'm currently reading Candyfreak by Steve Almond, a hilarious look at candy, where it comes from and why we like it so darn much. I have literally laughed out loud, it's that good. And, an interesting aspect is that a decent chunk of the book focuses on the candy history of Boston. Did you know that the Scrafft building (the bright pink-ish purple neon light off of I-93) was once a candy factory?

Reading the, of course, has got me thinking about candy....a lot. Do you have a favorite candy that you'd absolutely die without? What do you think you would do if the candy company were to discontinue it? Abba Zabba was my favorite candy as a kid (in California), and I still remember exactly how it tasted!

Comments:
The Scrafft candy factory used to make the ribbon candy, I believe (the wavy mulit-colored candy available at xmas,etc).

Did that book mention the New England Candy Co. (makers of Necco wafers) and the Great Molasses Flood of 1919?
 
Ahh....I do know that confection! But, growing up on the west coast I wasn't aware of the company's name.

The book did mention the New England Candy Co (the author even visited and saw the factory in production mode), but not the flood. That might have been a bit of history the company didn't want to share!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Flint Memorial Library
147 Park Street
North Reading, MA 01864
978.664.4942